The Dos and Don’ts of Applying Concrete Coatings
Concrete coatings are a great way to protect your concrete from the elements and extend the life of your surface. But before you apply a coating, there are some things you should do to ensure a successful application. Here are the dos and don’ts of applying a concrete coating.
- Clean the surface thoroughly before applying the coating. This will help the coating to adhere better and create a more even finish.
- Make sure the surface is completely dry before applying the epoxy coating. If it’s even slightly damp, the coating may not adhere properly or may not cure correctly.
- If the surface is cracked or damaged, repair it before applying the coating. Otherwise, the cracks will show through the finish.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for mixing and applying the coating. If you don’t, you may not get the desired results.
- Apply the coating evenly and in thin coats. If you apply it too thick, it may not cure properly.
- Allow the coating to cure completely before walking on it or putting any furniture back in place. Otherwise, you may damage the finish.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for application. This will ensure that you’re using the coating correctly and getting the best results.
- Don’t skip the surface preparation step. It’s important to clean and dry the surface completely before applying the coating.
- Don’t apply the coating in direct sunlight. The heat can cause the coating to cure too quickly, which can lead to streaks or an uneven finish.
- Don’t forget to prime the surface. This will help the coating adhere better and extend its life.
- Don’t apply the coating too thick. A thick coat will take longer to cure and may not provide the desired finish.
- Don’t forget to clean up after you’re done. Remove any excess coating and dispose of it properly.
- Don’t forget to read the manufacturer’s instructions. This will ensure that you’re using the coating correctly and getting the best results.