For some, the fact that polyaspartic can cure faster than epoxy raises red flags. After all, when it comes to home improvement projects, it’s a fact well known that a rushed job is a poor job, and that if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. This can lead some people to believe that that’s exactly what’s going on with polyaspartic vs epoxy.
Since polyaspartic can cure faster than epoxy, does this mean that you are sacrificing quality and longevity just so that you can use your garage floor again sooner? It’s a valid concern to have! However, polyaspartic is actually better suited to garage floors than epoxy – and lasts much longer.
Here’s what you need to know about why polyaspartic coatings can cure faster than epoxy coatings and why polyaspartic is a better choice for your garage floor. Let’s get into it!
So, Why Does Polyaspartic Cure Faster Than Epoxy?
Why does polyaspartic cure faster than epoxy? It comes down to the materials that they’re made out of and how the mixtures are formulated. It’s truly as simple as that!
Polyaspartic is a type of polyurea, which is engineered in order to cure quickly. They cure by two components cross-linking, which is why they can be applied in various temperatures and humidity levels. Because of how fast polyaspartic cures, it necessitates professional application. Otherwise, you could end up making mistakes and then needing to hire a professional to come out and fix said mistakes.
Epoxy, on the other hand, has an average cure time of about 7 days. They cure through an exothermic reaction – which means, through generating heat. This is why it’s better to apply epoxies in warm weather. This is also why you can DIY epoxy floor coatings. Epoxy dries before it cures, so don’t be fooled into thinking it’s cured just because it’s no longer liquidy.
Temperature also affects cure rate, as does humidity levels. Professionals know how to account for these factors in order to ensure the best result possible.
Is Epoxy Better Than Polyaspartic?
Since polyaspartic can cure faster than epoxy, it’s natural to wonder if that means that it’s subpar in quality. However, polyaspartic is actually a superior floor coating option. Not only does polyaspartic cure faster than epoxy, but it’s also stronger, more durable, and can last much longer.
Here’s a basic overview of how polyaspartic and epoxy floor coatings compare.
- Lifespan. Epoxy floor coatings generally last about 5 years before they need to be reapplied. Polyaspartic floor coatings can last up to 30 years with proper care and maintenance.
- UV resistance. You’ve probably heard about how epoxy floor coatings can turn yellow with too much exposure to sunlight. Polyaspartic floor coatings, however, are UV resistant, which means that they won’t turn yellow.
- Aesthetic appeal. Epoxy is famous for its stunning, glossy surface. Polyaspartic can be just as pretty. You can opt for a smooth polyaspartic floor or one with more texture for increased safety, the same as you can with epoxy.
- Hot tire pick-up. Hot-tire pickup is when your floor coating sticks to your tires when it’s hot out. This can happen with epoxy, but not with polyaspartic.
- Strength. Another one of the major draws of epoxy floor coatings is the fact that epoxy is strong and durable. Polyaspartics are 6x stronger than your standard epoxy coatings.
- VOCs. VOCs stands for Volatile Organic Compounds. These are fumes that can cause strong smells and health issues, such as headaches and eye and throat irritation. Epoxy floor coatings tend to have stronger VOCs than polyaspartic floor coatings.
While both epoxy and polyaspartic are excellent floor coating materials, polyaspartic is a better option. Polyaspartic is also better suited for use in garages than epoxy, due to the fact that polyaspartic is not as slippery as epoxy and there isn’t the risk of hot-tire pickup.
Professional Garage Floor Coatings In Virginia
Solid Garage Floor Coatings of Virginia provides professional garage floor coating services throughout the Fredericksburg area. If you’re interested in a polyaspartic garage floor coating, go ahead and contact us for your free quote! We’re happy to help you turn your garage into a thing of beauty.
Leave a Reply